Wednesday, June 6, 2007

A Kiss For Your Thoughts




I don't get a chance to update this site as much as I would like, because I have a commitment to doing a daily update at step-family talk and I usually can't get any more than that post written before work starts. I am enjoying writing for the site as it gives me much of the same opportunities that this site offers. I get to write about being a father. I'm still trying to find my feet over there. I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to write five posts a week about step-parenting.


I've been doing lots of reading on the subject and the sad fact is, there isn't much advice out there. Truly I could some up almost all of it very quickly: The bioparent should do the disciplining, don't push to have your stepchildren call you mom or dad, establish a good relationhip as a friend and mentor-especially if they are older, authority can be earned, but only after a good deal of time, it takes time for children to come to terms with their bioparents separation, make your relationship with your spouse the first priority. OR...love your spouse, love your kids, and give everything lots of time. All of the advice and papers out there are just variations of when I listed above.
How many ways can you rewrite the above information? So, I started yesterday with what really amounts to a reflective journal that will hopefully become a year in the life of a stepdad. I think I and anyone that actually reads the posts will learn more by experience and reflection than by re-reading the same old regurgitated advice.
So, what does the above picture have to do with this post? I just like the picture. It was taken by Big Sis and it shows how much she loves her brother. And, I like Baby Boy's pose. I love how he isn't looking directly at the camera. He looks as if he is okay with the kiss, but there are more important things to be thinking about. And, it shows off his dimples.

No comments: