Thursday, May 10, 2007

Introduction to the Family

Welcome to the first posting of "Growing Up With The Kids." The decision to start this blog was a quick one. I have been taking a closer look at parenting the last few days as I have been experiencing some tension with my daughter and was seeking advice via the Internet. I found some great advice, learned much, and then I stumbled upon http://www.beagooddad.com/. I loved the concept of sharing parenting ideas with the chronicling of the lives of our children. This wasn't the first website I found like this, but it was an engaging website and the thought to create my own occurred while reading through the posts. I thought, "Here is a guy that really appreciates his kids and being a father." It occurred to me that he is probably learning infinitely more about parenting and enjoying parenting more simply by taking the time to reflect on the life lessons his children are teaching him.

I want that too. I love parenting. I love learning. I love writing. I love teaching. So, why not write about parenting? It will force me to learn more and reflect on those lessons my children can teach me. And so,"Growing Up With The Kids" was born. Let me then introduce everyone to the main stars of this blog.

In order from the youngest to the oldest they are (Names have been changed to protect the innocent):

Baby Boy
He turns 1 year this Saturday. He is my first biological child. He is quick to laugh. He loves his new ability to walk and exploits it to its full potential and the dismay of our dog who now must sleep with one eye open unless he wants to be run over by a neon walker/chaser. Baby Boy's favorite pass times are eating anything smaller and slower than Dog, liberating objects from storage containers and cupboards, banging pots, pans, cans or anything of a high enough decibel to cause the dog to wet himself, and finally he loves flushing anything smaller and slower than Dog in the toilet. Baby Boy 's amusement at even the most mundane things and his ability to laugh freely reminds us all to enjoy life and is always happy to see you walk in the door. He makes a long commute worthwhile.

Dog
A stubby legged, long bodied mix of basset hound and something else we have yet been able to determine. He is remarkably tolerant and suffers well the occasional pulled ear or tail like a champ. Dog is Baby Boys best friend despite the constant threat of getting run over, getting eaten or getting flushed down the toilet. He too is always happy to see you walk in the door.

Big Sis
She is 13 years old and my daughter by marriage. She is strong-willed, outgoing, emotional, and a sweet-heart when no one is looking. Her pass times are shopping for designer labels, discussing people that wear or don't wear designer labels, styling her hair, watching horror movies. Her main goal in life seems to be to teach us all about what is really important in life-designer labels. She may not always be happy to see you walk in the door, but she never fails to laugh if you walk into the door.

Dad
That's right, from youngest to oldest I'm next in line. Mom is the most senior (ha,ha!) and the most beautiful. I define myself first as a father and husband and then as a student for life. My biggest mentors are C.S. Lewis, J.R.R Tolkien, G.K. Chesterton, and Sheldon VanAuken. I teach by day and come home at night to spend time with the baby while Mom heads off to work.

Mom
She is the easiest person in the world to get along with and the hardest person in the world to get a gift for. She isn't in to jewelry or flowers or any of the typical gifts men know they should get a women. She has stayed at home with Baby Boy for this first year of his life and has been wonderful. I must say I chose well. She too is happy to see me walk in the door.

Those are the main players of the household. I'm sure we will have some visitors from time to time. Please feel free to share insights, observations, and words of encouragement.

Sincerely,

Dad

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the parenting blog world. Let me know if you ever want some help.

Now go write post #2.

Judy said...

Visiting from BeaGoodDad's and wanted to say hello... welcome to the blogosphere and good luck with your teenager. Trust me... you WILL live through it. I know... I've lived through four! :-)

Anonymous said...

I am a bit late adding a comment but just found this blog.
I am currently hoping to survive my third teenager at home. Looking at my youngest 6 year old child I am glad I will have several years to recouperate before another case of teenagerism rears it's ugly head. But I do feel sorry for my husband he has 3 teenage stepkids that keep him on his toes.