Thursday, May 17, 2007

Is My 13 Year Old Normal?

Until recently I believed that my stepdaughter was in fact the most insane creature on the face of the planet. No logic, no matter how well crafted, no matter how tightly structured it was set up could stand up to her "reasoning." She was driving me crazy-correction she still is driving me crazy, but now I know that I'm not alone.

Find a parenting forum. Or look for a Q & A on parenting and teenagers/adolescents. I guarantee you that 1 out of 3 parenting questions is a call for help from a desperate parent dealing with a 13 year old. Not a 14 year old or a 15 year old, but a 13 year old going on 18. You can almost hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth as these poor parents type their pleas for help. "My 13 year old is driving me crazy?", "Worse teenager ever", "Troubled Teenager." "HELLLLLP!!!!" These are all cries of parents like you and me who have a 13 year old in the house. It is not unusual, though it is certainly stressful.

Don't believe me? I like to call this next argument, "You might be the parent of a 13 year old if..."

Dad: Yes dear.
Daughter: Can I spend the night at Suzy's house?
Dad: No dear, it's a weekday.
Daughter: Please.
Dad: Sorry, you know you can't spend the night on a weeknight.
Daughter:Why not?
Dad: Because you have school tomorrow.
Daughter: But why?
Dad: Because, you need your education.
Daughter: No, why can't I spend the night at Suzy's house?
Dad: Because it's a school night and you can't spend the night on a school night.
Daughter: But, why?
Dad: Because you'll stay up too late and you'll be too tired for school.
Daughter: No I won't, we'll go to bed early.
Dad: Sorry, kiddo, the answers still no.
Daughter: But, why?
Dad: (Forcing a smile) because I said so.
Daughter: But why?
Dad: Because I'm the dad.
Daughter: That's not a reason, why can't I spend the night at Suzy's?
Dad: I already told you, its a school night and you can't spend the night on a school night?
Daughter:But Why?
Dad:(Counting in his head 1, 2, 3...) Because you need to get a good night sleep when you have school the next day.
Daughter:But, we'll go to bed early.
Dad: No, that's it. You're not going tonight and if you ask me again you won't be able to go over there this weekend?
Daughter: But why?
Dad: ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! Because I said so.
Daughter: But, Why?

No comments: