Friday, May 25, 2007

How To Recognize a Michigander By Their Speech


This weekend I will be taking Big Sis and Baby Boy "UpNorth". Any Michigander hearing that would get a mental image of large expanses of woods, water, and a scent of the great outdoors. "UpNorth" is as much a part of our local idiomatic expressions as: pop, lake effect, the thumb, the bridge, and opening day (refers to the first day of deer season not baseball).


(By the way if you live in Michigan you are a Michigander, not a Michiganer, Michiganite, or a Michiganian. A Michiganian refers to an alumni of U of M. Michigander was the demonym given to us by Abraham Lincoln when he was running for presidency against Lewis Cass, the governor of the Michigan territory.)


After a bit of a tangent, I will get to the point of this post. I had planned on having a barbecue this weekend for Memorial Day and hang out at home for the weekend--Mom has to work. But, Big Sis heard me mention that my mother and sister were heading UpNorth this weekend. Big Sis said she wanted to go too.


My first inclination was to say "no", because I had already made plans for the barbecue. But, then I realized that Big Sis was wanting to spend time with the family and I needed to take advantage of such opportunities. As I mentioned earlier, for the last couple of years I have taken the "Lay down the law" approach with her and she has been resistant to my authority. One of the main reasons for this is I haven't developed a bond of trust with her. How can she be expected to believe me when I tell her she needs to do something she doesn't want to do because it will be good for her, if I haven't given her a reason to trust that I have her best interest in mind?


It is for this reason that we will be heading UpNorth this weekend. I have been trying to prepare myself mentally. I have spent the last two years expecting certain behaviors from her, and I am quick to notice them. This weekend, I need to hold my tongue, unless something she is doing could bring her or somebody else harm. The weekend is all about getting along. This is often easier said than done.


No comments: